If you are not sure about the job career that is best for you, or you understood the job you currently do is not right for you and you want to change it, but you don’t know what to change it to, there are a few things that can help you find the right answer.
• Look around to find inspiration - Check out what today's job market is asking for by looking for job vacancies online from various sources including Internet, newspapers and job boards. It could help you find professions you never thought of, spark ideas, give you hints. While you're at it, don't forget to pay close attention to the most required skills and knowledge such as computer use, languages, etc. in which you should invest to become a high-quality professional.
• Consider your natural talents - Speaking of skills, consider that every person can do two different kinds of jobs: that for which they studied, and that for which they are naturally talented. So if you have any particular attitude towards some profession, or a passion or hobby that you never tried to turn into a job, this could be the right moment for you to do so. Don’t be afraid to try completely new things or take risks: it’s the only way to success and satisfaction.
• Keep in mind the lifestyle you want - Our job determines our lifestyle. So make sure to choose something that doesn’t go against the lifestyle you wish for, or you might end up stressed or frustrated and consequentially not very performing in what you do. Of course, some sacrifices are always required, however try to find a career path that satisfies both you needs and your desires.
• Look for advice - Don’t just be open to advice: actually look for it. Talk to friends and family members who know you well, they might give you new points of view, open new possibilities to your eyes, help you understand if you are making the right choice. Look for people who are in jobs that you consider desirable and that you think you would like to do as well: they will surely make you see the bad side too, helping you realize if that’s what you want to go for.
• Ask yourself questions - Challenge yourself with unusual questions and be honest with your answer. For example, if you could trade jobs with one of your friends, which one would that be and why? Is money and material richness important to you? What would you major in if you could go back to school tomorrow? Would you go back to school tomorrow in the first place? There are also some career tests you can take online in order to give you a hand in choosing the right career for you, which is not decisive (clearly you're the one with the final word on it), but in a moment of doubt it can help you clear your mind.
Credit: Angela Sarpong